Saturday, February 13, 2010

Your Brand: Dressing for your next role

According to Vanna Novak, CEO of Speak to Persuade, "you only have 10 seconds to make that first impression and in a competitive situation, you will have even less time. Moreover, 55% of your impact as a communicator is attributed to your physical appearance as opposed to 7% in what you say. " Think about that the next time you present yourself at a meeting, conference or even at an interview. You might even ask yourself especially when you go to an interview, How do others perceive you? Well, with the help of my friends, Sonrose Festejo and Terry Jones, I was able to answer that question really easily. Both are individual stylists located at the Nordstrom flagship store in downtown Seattle.


                             Photomura Images Copyright 2010

My style is obviously business casual - very business casual. It's very rare for me to wear a jacket or suit and tie and I have to admit that after working with Sonrose and Terry, modifying my appearance was easy and stress-free. Just as some of you read this, I don't want to be prescriptive about what to wear as it'll depend on the work environment or situation you are in.  For me, as I go to fundraisers and client meetings, it's appropriate and even required to dress in a style that is more formal over business casual.

                                                           Photomura Images Copyright 2010
  

So my 3-hour appointment started with a needs assessment in addition to providing my shoe, shirt and pant sizes. Sonrose filled my dressing room with an assortment of styles ranging from business casual to interview styles readying me for my transformation. I took the experience as both educational and as an adventure. I didn't know what she would give me, but I was impressed.  There were suit jackets, slacks, shoes, mix and match ties, as well as a variety of easy care shirts. It took close to 2 hours to try on all of the items she presented.

  
                                                           Photomura Images Copyright 2010

When it came down to suits, Terry showed me the right length, fit and interchangability of the suit components with what Sonrose provided.  He distinguished for me fit over the size of a jacket, something I've always wondered about.  I actually brought in one of my jackets to get an insight on the size of it.  I thought it was too big and have never worn it for just that reason. Rather, after talking with Terry, it was just the right size, but the fit needed adjustment through alterations, like shortening the sleeves or taking in the waist.   Fit you can say is the personal touch that makes a jacket fit your frame.

                Photomura Images Copyright 2010

After all was said and done, I ended up with a brand that I felt be-fitting for my current and next roles. It was also a brand that I felt comfortable wearing as much as I do in business casual.

                                                           Photomura Images Copyright 2010

Thank you, Sonrose Festejo and Terry Jones of Nordstrom for your great service and a very special thanks to Julie Sotomura of Photomura Images for taking these fantastic photos, Rory Dufault for shoes and Lani for alterations.

Regards,
Gil Gido
NAAAP Seattle
President

Calling cards:
Sonrose Festejo Individualist and Special Occasion Department manager
Nordstrom Flagship | Downtown Seattle
500 Pine St. Suite 500, Seattle, Washington 98101
206-628-1230

Terry Jones All star Men's Clothing
Nordstrom Flagship | Downtown Seattle
500 Pine St. Suite 500, Seattle, Washington 98101
206-628-1220

Rory Dufault Men's Shoes
Nordstrom Flagship | Downtown Seattle
500 Pine St. Suite 500, Seattle, Washington 98101
206-628-1500

For nationwide Nordstrom Individual Stylist locations visit their website: https://secure.nordstrom.com/services/personal_touch.asp

1 comment: